Monday, June 7, 2010

Matters of the Heart

Poetry has to be the most powerful form of writing. It is basically raw emotion, you can feel it in its rhythm, the way the words form in your mouth, the momentum of the phrases. Even down to the carefully placed punctuation marks, they ooze with whatever emotion they speak of. If its rage, you can feel the heat, the blood pumping through the person's veins, the thoughts rattling in the person's mind, the emotion building and building until eventually it reaches its climax and explodes. Or if its nice and happy and flowery, you can feel the love, feel the joy, smell the fresh flowers of spring time, feel the sunshine on your shoulder, hear the birds sing their joyful songs. I enjoy greatly sharing my thoughts with all of you through this writing, but I must say that my preferred way of speaking is through my poetry.

I found a quote today, and it is one of the most truthful things I have read in a long time. "Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart." This is so very true. When you are silent, people worry. Especially if you talk all the time. Like me, if there was ever a day that I was silent, you should be very very worried. You can worry that you have said something very wrong and terrible and the other person is ignoring you. Or you can worry that something terrible has happened and they want to talk to you but they can't. Or you can feel completely left out because they are ignoring you on purpose because they are doing something very cool that you weren't invited to and you want to do something with them but you never get to and maybe you aren't as important to them as you thought that you were, you aren't as important to them as they are to you, and you begin to question things that you shouldn't. But words only hurt for a little bit. Most hateful words come from people you don't like, so it doesn't matter, you can just go to your best friend for comfort. Or if it would happen to come from your close friend, maybe it was a slip of the tongue or you took it the wrong way. Or maybe they just aren't really your friend, which would hurt so terribly bad. But the words themselves don't hurt as much as the silence does. Words can tug at the heart strings and make you cry, but silence can shatter the heart itself and leave you with nothing but an empty terrible feeling inside. And really it isn't the words that make you hurt if your friend does something to hurt you, it is the confusion and silence that does.

Today I was told that I laugh like an evil scientist, that they pictured me with boiling beakers and bubbling concoctions of chemicals. The scientist part fits me all right, but I'm not sure about the evil part....
PrincessC

No comments:

Post a Comment