Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Judging Books by Their Covers, or Labels Rather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsPFDzAGb4A&NR=1

If you read the comments of this amazing music video, it is sadly tainted with negative comments about the artist's personal life. He did announce it publicly (I did in fact misspell "announce" and spell check fixed it for me, and that is actually the word that I missed in the spelling bee in fourth grade) which I suppose made us aware of it, but it didn't really make it our business. If you like a food before you know what it is, but then suddenly once you know what is in it you hate it, that doesn't really make any sense. You liked it, so why does knowing what's in it change that? Same thing with the labels that you can put on people. If you liked him before, knowing that he isn't "normal" shouldn't suddenly affect his singing voice. Like I am an American. Knowing that I am an American shouldn't make you suddenly dislike me. And just because I am American doesn't give you right to hate me. You can't just stereotype everyone. Just because you dislike one American doesn't mean that you should hate all of them. And not all Christians are judgemental and harsh people, so it is unfair to label everyone as that. Labels don't define what a person is, no one person fits exactly into the cookie cutter shape that is a label. You define what the label is. Some people believe that since I am asexual, I have the inability to love, which isn't true, just because I don't believe in showing my love the same way and love people the exact same way as a lot of people doesn't mean that I am completely incapable of any love. If you've read any of my other posts, you can see that I am able to love, and I love much and truly. It's different from some people, some people wouldn't be as satisfied with the type of love I have, but that doesn't make what I do wrong. I personally really dislike frozen green beans, but canned green beans aren't that bad. Just because they have the word green beans similar doesn't mean that they have to be exactly alike, and they aren't, they have different tastes. I quite like frozen peas. Just because they have frozen in the label just like the green beans doesn't mean that I automatically hate them as well. If I didn't have the variety of different vegetables, my life would be repetitive and boring and I wouldn't have a well balanced diet. Same with the world, if we didn't have the vast assortment of people that make up all the different parts of the world, if we were all alike, there would only be need for one human because they could do the jobs of everyone. People need to learn to not live by labels, not let labels affect what they do and what they say. Labels are a part of you, you aren't solely them.

I shall leave you with another song. This is the one that easily gets stuck in my head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Fqn9du7xo&NR=1
PrincessC

No comments:

Post a Comment