Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Power of One

I now know what I want to talk about. Traditions, superstitions, everything to do with New Years.

Tradition, by my definition, something that you, as in a single person or an entire group, have been doing for years. By years, I do not mean one year, I mean like centuries (note the plural -s ending, multiple years). Like you have been doing it for so long that you aren't able to imagine anything else. Think of breathing as a tradition. You getting up every morning, you eating every day at noon: tradition.

My tradition, due to superstition and family history: eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day. Luckily for me, I love them. My brother hates them, he never eats them. My family has had bad luck ever since we stopped forcing him to eat them. Coincidence....

I also watch the ball drop. Then wait up for an extra hour for midnight.

Something I believe very much in: how you spend New Years Eve is the way you will spend the rest of the year. I stay at home a lot, with my family. How do I spend New Years Eve? At home, with my family. Apparently I haven't gained any friends to party with throughout the year. But this means that it's a very true saying. My amigo spend New Years Eve with his amigo. How does he spend the year you may ask? With said amigo. As my favorite movie, Kung Fu Panda, would quote, "There are no accidents."

I would like to take this time to say, again, something I feel strongly about. You are in a relationship with every person you know. You are in a relationship with your mother, that's called a family relationship. Your worst enemy, a really bad relationship. Your best friend, a friendship, or a friend relationship, or the word I use that still has strangely not caught on yet, an amigoship. Romantic relationships aren't the only ones. I could say I'm in a relationship with my mother, but that would get some odd looks on Facebook probably. But it is very true. I have a pretty nice relationship with my mother as well.
PrincessC

No comments:

Post a Comment